Monday, March 12, 2012

Friendless

I realized today that I have no friends. The catalyst for this epiphany is stupid, really. I entered a t-shirt design contest and made the finals. The final t-shirt design will be chosen by a popular vote. I know how these things work, the person who reaches the most other people will win the contest, regardless of whether or not they have the best design. I have - had, really - 200+ facebook friends, so I figured I'd put out a call for votes in my status update and I'd probably get between 1/8 and 1/4 of my friends to vote. I wasn't expecting to win, I was expecting to lose but I wasn't expecting to lose because I only have 6 votes - two of which are from people I've never heard of and 2 of which are me and my husband, which leaves 2 that are actually people known to me. That's less than 1% - of people who are constantly asking me for things.

It hurt. I'm not a crier and I cried. I cried a lot. I've now disabled facebook and signed out of twitter and pinterest. I have no interest in people who can't spend 6 seconds to do me a rather small but not insignificant favor. It was free, it was juried (which means it's not like I submitted something with a bazillion other people and we're all clamoring blindly for votes), it had a prize that has a lot of value to me. And no one could be bothered.

I now feel like I have a much better grasp on how alone I am in the world. Maybe I'll use all my facebook wittiness on this blog now.

No comments: